I wanted to get right to the heart of the matter... er uh lung, heart, lung? But decided to ease in with some interesting facts about hunting.
Condensed version taken from http://www.nhfday.org/Page/Hunting-Facts.aspx
-Hunters and anglers support more jobs nationwide than the number of people employed by Wal-Mart.
- Americans hunt 228 million days per year.
- More than 38 million Americans hunt and fish.
- An average hunter spends $1,638 every year on the sport.
- According to research, 72 percent more women are hunting with firearms today than just five years ago.
- More Americans hunt and shoot than play golf.
-Non-resident hunting license, tag, stamp and permit sales have risen 41.2 percent since 1993.
-Top selling sporting goods: 1.) exercise equipment, 2.) golf gear, 3.) hunting gear.
- The contributions, in the form excise taxes paid on sporting firearms, ammunition and archery equipment, benefit every state and have generated approximately $5.6 billion for wildlife conservation since 1939. The contribution for 2009 is a record -- nearly $336 million, according to the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service which recently announced the Wildlife Restoration apportionment